Steamed Crab with Egg
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Yield: serves 2
- 1 (about 580 g) live crab
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 spring onion – diced
- 3 slices ginger – cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbs Shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Use a knife or chopstick and stab it through the small opening right above the triangular abdominal flap. Pull off the abdominal flap and wash away the smelly stuff. Place your thumb into the space where you just pulled off the abdomen flap and pull the carapace (the thick hard shell covering the insides) from the rest of the crab. Remove the gills. Chop the body into a few pieces. Lightly crush the claws with the back of a chopper. Try to retain all the juices while handling the crab.
- In a bowl, lightly beat eggs with double the amount of water (use the liquid collected from chopping the crab, add more if necessary).
- Strain egg mixture into a steaming dish and sprinkle the white part of the spring onions and ginger over the eggs. Place pieces of crab into the dish.
- Cover with clingfilm and steam on high heat for 3 mins then lower the heat and steam on low heat for 12-15 mins or until cooked through.
- Lastly, drizzle wine and sesame oil over the crab and steamed egg. Garnish with the rest of the spring onions.