We are currently on a mission – to lose weight…well, at least we are both trying to. The wild boar was horrified when he weighed himself after 2 months of binge eating in Malaysia. The first thing he told me after stepping down of the scale was “We will be eating steam chicken everyday from now.”. I try to cook healthily on weekdays now and reward our stomachs on weekends.
Steamed Chicken with Shiitake Mushrooms & Tofu
Prep time: 10 mins
Marinate time: 1 hr
Cook time: 10 mins
Yield: serves 2-3
- 200 g skinless and boneless chicken meat – cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 125 g fresh shiitake mushrooms – sliced
- 1 stalk spring onion – diced (white and green parts separated)
- 3 cloves garlic – diced
- 1 tube Japanese egg tofu – sliced into 1 cm thickness
- 1/2 tsp Knorr chicken powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- A few dashes white pepper powder
- 1 tbs oyster sauce
- 2 tbs Shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Mix together chicken, mushrooms, white part of spring onion, garlic and all ingredients for marinade. Leave to marinate for at least 1 hr.
- Place/ line a steaming bowl with sliced tofu.
- Pour all the marinated ingredients on top of tofu.
- Steam on medium low heat for about 8-10 mins or until done.
- Garnish with green part of spring onion.