If you love the deep, rich flavour of butterscotch, you will love this!
The butterscotch flavour comes from browning the bananas in butter and sugar in the oven for about 40 mins, which makes this ice-cream richly decadent. I baked the bananas for only 30 mins as the sauce was quite dark after 30 mins in the oven and started to burn. Remember to check on it every 10 mins or so as all ovens may differ and the bananas go from brown to burn in seconds!
Now, where is the sun???
Prep time: 35 mins
Chill time: Overnight
Churn time: 25 mins
Yield: 2 1/2 cups
- 3 medium sized ripe bananas – peeled and cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1/3 cup (70 g) brown sugar (I used dark brown soft sugar)
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbs brown sugar (I used dark brown soft sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Toss banana pieces with brown sugar and butter in a baking dish. Bake for 40 mins, stirring just once during baking, until the bananas are browned and cooked through. [I baked for only 30 mins. I baked the bananas in a 200°C fan oven and the sauce was quite dark after 30 mins and started to burn.]
- Scrape the bananas and the thick syrup in the baking dish into a blender or food processor.
- Add milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and salt, puree until smooth.
- Chill the mixture overnight then freeze it in the ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. If the chilled mixture is too thick to pour, whisking will thin it out.