Although I can’t stand the bitterness of bitter gourd, this is a dish I crave for very often. Sometimes I just miss the taste of it, eat it, hate it and soon after, miss it again. I’ve been trying different ways to reduce the bitterness of bitter gourd and found that soaking it in salted water and boiling it prior to cooking really helped.
- 500g chicken – chopped
- 1 onion – cut in ring shape
- 4 cloves garlic – sliced
- 1 whole bitter gourd
- ½ tbs Taucu minced bean paste (碎豆醬)
- Corn starch/ water slurry
- ½ tbs Oyster sauce
- ½ tbs Chicken stock
- ½ tbs Light soya sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Slice bitter gourd and soak in water + ~2 tbs salt for at least 1 hr.
- Pour bitter gourd together with salt water into a pot and bring to boil.
- Let it boil for a minute then drain. Rinse bitter gourd in cold water.
- Heat up oil and sauté garlic and onions till soft.
- Add in chicken and taucu minced bean paste fry till slightly brown.
- Add in bitter gourd, seasonings A and enough water to cover half of the ingredients, simmer on medium heat for 20mins or until chicken is cooked.
- Thicken with corn starch/water slurry.