Shrimp paste is my new favourite!
This sauce has been on my to-try list ever since I saw it on Rita's blog. I couldn't find Lee Kum Kee shrimp paste in the UK, but it is readily available back here in Singapore. This stuff is fermented and is extremely pungent and salty, the flavour is very much like salted fish. There are many different brands and types of shrimp paste - dry, wet and can vary in smell, texture and saltiness. I don't have much experience with different types of shrimp paste, so I can't comment, feel free to experiment!
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Yield: serves 2-3
- 300 g lean pork - thinly sliced
- 1 stalk spring onion - sliced, white and green parts separated
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tsp chili oil flakes
- 2 tsp shrimp paste
- 1/2 tsp Thick Dark Soy Sauce (Thick Caramel Sauce)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Mix together all ingredients except for green part of spring onion. Leave to marinate for at least 10 mins.
- Steam on high heat for about 10-15 mins or until cooked through.
- Garnish with green part of spring onion.
So good rice rice!