Chinese New Year is just round the corner and so it's time to prepare our stomachs for all the upcoming delicious meals!
Here's a rather interesting recipe adapted from the cookbook 'The ultimate guide to steam cooking 蒸的好轻松 by 程安琪‘. The original recipe involves pickled sweet cucumber 酱瓜, but since I had chai po at hand, and it's also a type of sweet pickled vegetable, I used that instead. Also, I used a mixture of minced chicken and pork instead of purely pork to lower the fat content. The dish turned out really good. The pickled veg added a nice crunch and flavour to the savoury meatballs and the steamed pumpkin added sweetness to the dish. Another keeper!
Steamed Meatballs and Pickles with Pumpkin 菜脯肉丸蒸南瓜Printable recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Yield: serves 3
- 190 g minced chicken
- 250 g minced pork
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbs Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbs water
- A few dashes white pepper powder
- 4 tbs Chai Po (菜脯, minced preserved radish) - rinsed
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 250 g fresh pumpkin - sliced
- Place sliced pumpkin on a steaming dish.
- Mix together minced meat, salt, sugar, light soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, water and pepper in a mixing bowl. Stir in one direction with a pair of chopsticks until sticky.
- Add pickles and mix well.
- Add corn starch and mix well.
- Lift the mince and slap it down on the bowl a few times, then make into meatballs and place on top of the sliced pumpkin.
- Steam on high heat for about 15 mins or until cooked.