How on earth do you peel a baby yam? Definitely not with a peeler as the little slimy things just slip and fall before and after everytime you peel them. Plus the slimey fluid will make your skin itchy upon excessive contact. My hands itched like crazy trying to peel them! So, be careful and wear gloves when handling fresh yam.
Braised Chicken with Baby YamPrintable recipe
Prep time: 20 mins
Marinate time: 1 hr-overnight
Cook time: 1 hr
Yield: serves 3-4
- 1 whole (about 1 kg) chicken - chopped into pieces
- 1 tbs miso paste
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 35 g dried shrimps - rinsed and minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 400 g baby yam - Remove yam skin. Half then soak in water till later use.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Mix together chicken pieces, miso paste, light soy sauce and sugar. Leave to marinate for at least 1 hr, preferably overnight.
- Heat up a bit of oil in a pot, add dried shrimps and garlic, stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add chicken, stir-fry chicken until lightly browned.
- Add water, cover and let it simmer for about 30 mins.
- Add baby yam and let it cook for about 20 mins or until thickened.
- Season to taste.