Fresh, crunchy, addictive. Nutritious, healthy, tasty.
I made soup with Chinese wild yam (Huai Shan 淮山, also known as shan yao 山药), so I thought I'd try something different. The flavour is very mild and subtle, so the best thing is to do a simple stir-fry. As mentioned before, wild yam has loads of medicinal functions, such as promotes urination, lower blood sugar, lower blood pressure, acts as an antibiotic, has anti-aging properties and also improves digestive system. It is great for the kidney, lung and spleen. So...eat more!
Wild Yam with Goji Berries Stir-Fry 枸杞炒山药Printable recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Yield: serves 2
- 400 g Chinese wild yam 山药
- 2 tbs goji berry - rinsed
- 1 tbs Shaoxing wine
- 3 cloves garlic - pressed or minced
- 1/2 tsp chicken powder
- A few dashes white pepper powder
- Soak goji berries in Shaoxing wine for about 10 mins or until softened.
- Remove yam skin with a peeler. Thinly sliced then soak in water till later use. Rinsed a few times before cooking. Remember to wear gloves while peeling and slicing the yam as the slimey fluid will make your skin itch.
- Heat up a bit of oil in a pan. Add garlic, fry until fragrant.
- Add yam sliced and stir-fry for about 2-3 mins.
- Pour in goji berries together with the Shaoxing wine. Stir-fry for a further few mins.
- Season to taste with some chicken powder or salt and pepper.