Here's another recipe adapted from the cookbook 'The ultimate guide to steam cooking 蒸的好轻松 by 程安琪‘. I thought it would be weird steaming pork with lemongrass and assam as it sounded more like a recipe for fish but it turned out surprisingly good! The original recipe uses chili padi but I didn't want it to be that spicy so I used regular red chili instead.
Steamed Pork Belly with Lemongrass and AssamPrintable recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Marinate time: 30 mins - overnight
Cook time: 15 mins
Yield: serves 3
- 500 g pork belly - skin removed but leave the fats underneath intact, sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 stalks lemongrass - cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces and lightly bashed
- 2 red chili - sliced
- 2 tbs tamarind
- 4 tbs hot water
- Mix together tamarind and hot water. Strain to remove seeds.
- Mix together tamarind and all the other ingredients. Leave to marinate for at least 30 mins.
- Place everything in a steaming bowl and steam for about 15 mins or until done.