Here is another "cooling" soup recipe. As mentioned, winter melon is good for you as it remove heatiness and helps detoxify the body. I usually discard the skin, but I recently watched a cooking show and someone mentioned that the skin has many benefits as well especially for preventing heat stroke. So, boil the soup with the skin but don't eat the skin. Be careful if you are pregnant though, since this is a "cooling" soup.
Sweetcorn is also added as it adds sweetness and also has many benefits. Although vitamin C is lost when you cook sweet corn, but the antioxidant activity is retained. It is also believed to reduce the chance of heart disease and cancer.
Winter Melon, Sweet Corn and Chicken SoupPrintable recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 2 hrs
Yield: serves 3-4
- 1/2 chicken - chopped into pieces
- 680 g winter melon - seeds and core removed, cut into small pieces
- 2 sweet corn - chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 carrot - cut into small pieces
- 1 large tomato - cut into wedges
- 5 cups water
- Place all ingredients into the pressure cooker pot and cook under pressure for 45 mins. If you are not using a pressure cooker, blanch the chicken before boiling to get rid of impurities then place all ingredients into a pot, bring to boil then simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.
- Season to taste with salt.