This is another common steamed dish using Chinese red dates and goji berries to provide sweetness and flavour. Chinese red date is also known as jujube and is a traditional Chinese herb commonly used in savoury or sweet soups. It is known to nourish the blood and so is widely consumed during confinement. Besides, it is believed to help calm the mind, which improves insomnia, help protect the liver, reduce cholesterol, boost immune system and prevent cancer.
Steamed Chicken with Red Dates and Goji BerriesPrintable recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Marinate time: 1 hr
Cook time: 20 mins
Yield: serves 2-3
- 550 g bone-in chicken pieces
- 25 g (about 18) red dates (weighed without seeds) - split into half
- 2 tbs goji berries
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbs Shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- A few dashes white pepper powder
- Mix chicken, half and red dates and goji berries, and marinade ingredients in a steaming bowl. Cover and leave to marinade for at least 1 hr.
- Before steaming, sprinkle the rest of the red dates and goji berries on to the chicken.
- Steam on medium low heat for about 20 mins or until chicken is cooked.