If you love nutella, you will love this.
Gianduja is a type of Italian chocolate made from a mixture of chocolate and hazelnut or almond paste while stracciatella is a vanilla based gelato with chocolate shavings. In other words, Gianduja-Stracciatella gelato is simply hazelnut and chocolate ice-cream with chocolate bits. Enough said.
Gianduja-Stracciatella GelatoPrintable recipe
Adapted from David Lebovitz' The Perfect Scoop
Prep time: 20 mins
Chill time: Overnight
Churn time: 25 mins
Yield: 500 mL (2 cups)
- 100 g hazelnuts
- 1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup (65 g) sugar
- A pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 50 g milk chocolate - finely chopped
- 50 g dark chocolate - finely chopped
- Rub the hazelnuts in a kitchen towel to remove as much of the papery skin as possible, then finely chop them in a food processor. Lightly toast the nuts in a heated pan until lightly browned.
- Warm the cream, milk, sugar and salt in a saucepan.
- Once milk is warm, remove from heat and add hazelnuts. Cover and let steep at room temperature for 1 hr.
- Pour hazenut-infused milk through a strainer into another saucepan, squeezing the nuts firmly with your hands to extract as much of the flavourful liquid as possible. Discard hazelnuts.
- Rewarm the hazelnut-infused milk.
- Add milk chocolate, stir to melt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm hazelnut mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.
- Pour the custard through a strainer.
- Leave to cool and chill the mixture overnight then freeze it in the ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- While the ice-cream is churning, melt the dark chocolate until completely smooth.
- Drizzle a very thin stream of the warm dark chocolate into the ice-cream during the last possible moment of churning. Break up any large chocolate chunks with spatula.