Jami Sorrento was our June Daring Cooks hostess and she chose to challenge us to celebrate the humble spud by making a delicious and healthy potato salad. The Daring Cooks Potato Salad Challenge was sponsored by the nice people at the United States Potato Board, who awarded prizes to the top 3 most creative and healthy potato salads. A medium-size (5.3 ounce) potato has 110 calories, no fat, no cholesterol, no sodium and includes nearly half your daily value of vitamin C and has more potassium than a banana!
The wild boar almost jumped with joy when I told him about this month's daring cooks challenge. He loves potato salad. Not just any potato salad, only those creamy ones with potatoes slathered in mayonnaise. That's also the main reason why I rarely make potato salad, it's simply too fattening! For this, I sneaked in a bit of greek yoghurt instead of just using only mayonnaise. The wild boar didn't seem to notice and really enjoyed it.
Creamy Potato Salad with Chives and GherkinsPrintable recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Yield: serves 2-3
- 550 g potatoes (I used baby new potatoes) - washed, leave the skin on
- 1/2 cup gherkins (in sweet vinegar) - chopped into small pieces
- 1/3 cup chives - chopped into 2 cm in length
- 3 tbs Kewpie mayonnaise
- 3 tbs low fat greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp Coleman mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Boil potatoes till tender, about 20-25 mins. Drain and cool. Once cooled, cut potatoes in half or quartered if too big.
- Mix together potatoes and all other ingredients.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.