Not very photogenic, but this dish is packed full of flavours and screams HOME!
Steamed minced pork (蒸肉饼) is quite a common home-cooked dish in Chinese households. It is extremely versatile, simple and delicious with plain white rice or rice porridge. There are countless variations to this recipe，the most common being steamed minced pork with salted fish (咸鱼蒸肉饼). Others include steamed minced pork with preserved vegetable (梅菜蒸肉饼), with olive vegetable (榄菜蒸肉饼), with water chestnuts and mushrooms (马蹄冬菇蒸肉饼), crack a salted egg on top and you get steamed minced pork with salted egg (咸蛋蒸肉饼)...well you get the idea, depends on what you pair the pork with really. Usually, only minced pork is used for the pork patty but I like to add tofu into mine. It's a great way to incorporate tofu into our diet and it makes a softer, juicier, moister pork patty.
Steamed Minced Pork and Tofu with Preserved Vegetable 冬菜蒸豆腐肉饼Printable recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Marinade time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
- 250 g minced pork
- 1 block (250 g) soft tofu
- 4 tbs Tianjin preserved vegetable 天津冬菜
- 1 tbs Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 stalk spring onion(optional, for garnishing)
- Rinse the preserved vegetables a few times then soak in water. After about 10 mins, drain and rinse it a couple more times. Drain and squeeze dry. [This is to wash away some of the salt.]
- Combine washed preserved vegetables and all other ingredients (except the spring onions) in a mixing bowl. Mix will combine. [You can leave this to marinade for about 10-30 mins or steam it straightaway.]
- Place in a steaming bowl and steam on medium high heat for about 15 mins or until done.
- Drizzle a bit of sesame oil onto the meat and garnish with spring onions.