Kimchi fried rice is THE one dish that I'd cook whenever I have kimchi. It is so simple and uber super tasty. This is the one dish that everytime I finish eating, I'd lie back on the couch thinking "this is it! I can die full, satisfied and happy...ahhh". I usually use whatever leftover meat I have, so feel free to substitute gammon with bacon, spam or whatever you fancy.
Kimchi and Gammon Fried RicePrintable recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Yield: serves 3
- 3 cups cold overnight cooked rice
- 1 tbs oil
- 150 g uncooked gammon or bacon - cut into little pieces
- 1 onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - pressed or finely minced
- 2 stalks spring onion - diced
- 1 1/2 cups kimchi - chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 tbs Kochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs hot water
- 2 tbs Kimchi juice
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- Light soy sauce
- Sunny-side up eggs
- Break up the rice with a fork or chopsticks. Mix in about 1 tbs of oil. [This makes the rice less sticky and avoid large clumps.]
- In a small bowl, mix together Kochujang, sugar and hot water. After sugar and Kochujang have dissolved, mix in kimchi juice. Leave aside for later use.
- In a non-stick pan, fry gammon pieces until lightly browned. Remove and leave aside for later use.
- Add onions, fry until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and white part of the spring onions, fry until fragrant.
- Mix in kimchi, fry until dry. Leave this aside together with the fried gammon pieces for later use.
- Add rice to the pan, pour in kochujang mixture. Stir to mix.
- After mixing evenly, add in all the fried gammon and kimchi. Mix.
- Season to taste with light soy sauce.
- Lastly, stir in sesame oil and green part of spring onions and serve with a sunny-side up!