Hola, amigos!!! I'm finally back from sunny San Sebastian - a land of good weather, great food and happy people. How I wish I could stay there forever! It was hard to say bye but I had to for the sake of my arteries and waistline. I will keep this post short as I have loads of pictures to go through, stay tuned for some Spanish food porn in the very near future =)
For now, a simple and really tasty dish to go with plain rice. This is a pretty common dish found at Chinese restaurants. It is usually served on a sizzling hot plate and the Japanese tofu pieces are lightly fried. For a lower calorie home-cooked version, I left out the tofu-frying part.
Japanese Tofu with Enoki Mushroom and Minced PorkPrintable recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Marinade time: 30 mins - overnight
Cook time: 20 mins
Yield: serves 2
- 250 g minced pork
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 3 cloves garlic - pressed
- 150 g enoki mushrooms (I used canned) - drained and lightly rinsed
- 1 tube Japanese egg tofu - cut into 1 cm pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- Oyster sauce
- Cornstarch slurry (cornstarch+water)
- Sesame oil
- Marinate pork in all ingredients for marinade for at least 30 mins.
- Heat up a bit of oil in a pan, fry garlic until fragrant.
- Add minced pork, fry until half-cooked.
- Add mushrooms, tofu and water.
- Leave to cook until pork is cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Thicken with cornstarch slurry and season to taste with oyster sauce and sugar.
- Lastly, mix in a little bit of sesame oil and serve.