This is a follow-up post on the Morphy Richards' soup maker review I posted earlier this week. The "smooth" version worked great but some of you may not be convinced as you can achieve the same result with a blender. Can't agree more but for lazy people like me, less steps equals happy me =) Read on and you will know what I mean.
I tried out the "chunky" function next as I was curious if it would lightly blend my ingredients or what. Turns out, the "chunky" function doesn't do any blending, it just cooks and leaves the ingredients the way it is. If anything, it lightly mixes (I think) the ingredients while cooking. For this soup, I threw EVERYTHING in, yes, even the uncooked chorizo, and everything was perfectly cooked after the 25 minutes cycle.
After making this, I realised that I didn't have to pre-cook the gammon pieces for the pea soup afterall! Although the handbook doesn't recommend using raw meat......well, it worked for me! If you are worried, just cut the meat into tinier pieces (they are going to be blended anyway) or you can cook it twice or even thrice just to be sure. *Do this at your own risk though* The soup maker is fitted with a safety thermostat, which cuts the power and stops the product from working to prevent overheating if it is used continuously on 3 or more cycles. Simply remove the ingredients and leave it to cool for 30 mins and you are good to go again.
Chorizo and Lentil SoupPrintable recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Yield: serves 2 as mains
- 80 g (1/3 cup) puy lentils - rinsed
- 150 g uncooked chorizo - cut into small rounds
- 1 carrot - diced
- 1 onion - diced
- 1 stalk celery - diced
- 2 tbs concentrated tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black peppercorn
- 1 cup leftover shredded chicken (optional)
- Place all ingredients except the shredded chicken into the soup maker and press the "chunky" button.
- Once finished (25 mins), mix in shredded. Cover the press the "chunky" button again. Remove lid when you hear the sound of boiling liquid. [this step is just to re-heat the shredded chicken.]
- Season to taste with more salt and black pepper if needed.