I've been cooking a lot of Sake-Steamed Clams (Asari no Sakamushi) ever since I discovered the dish sometime last year. It's so simple, yet packed full of flavours, not to mention boozilicious. The wild boar got kind of sick of it so I had to find another way to cook them. Now, this is my new favourite way of cooking clams.
Boozy, spicy, garlicky, what's not to like right?
This recipe works well with prawns too!
Garlic & Chili ClamsPrintable recipe
Prep time: 10 mins (plus at least 1 hr for cleaning/ soaking clams.)
Cook time: 10 mins
Yield: serves 2
- 500 g clams
- 1/2 tbs sesame oil
- 1/2 bulb garlic - peeled and pressed or finely minced
- 1 red chili - de-seeded or not your choice, thinly sliced
- A few splashes of Shaoxing wine
- A pinch of salt
- 2-3 tbs mirin
- Clean the clams and soak in brine (1 tsp salt in 2 1/2 cups water) for at least 1 hr. Rinse.
- Heat up sesame oil in a pot.
- Add garlic and red chili. Fry until fragrant.
- Mix in clams.
- Pour in a few splashes of shaoxing wine.
- Cover and bring the liquid to boil at high heat.
- As soon as the clam shells are open, remove from heat and season to taste with salt and mirin.
- Remember to discard any clams that do not open as they may be contaminated.