Summer is finally here and it's berry buy 1 get 1 free time! I came across this very berry pie at My Food and Life Encounters and the name of it was just too cute to resist! I was intrigued by its name, bumbleberry. It's not just another type of weird berry species, it's actually a word used to describe a mixture of berries used in various recipes. The most common is bumbleberry pie, other recipes include bumbleberry jam, bumbleberry cakes, bumbleberry crisps, bumbleberry soufflés, and even bumbleberry tiramisu. I omitted the apples and the wild boar complained that it was too tart. It was okay for me though, really delicious on its own and even better with vanilla ice-cream!
Ingredients: 9 1/2 inch pieDirections:
- 2 packets (375g each) Shortcrust pastry dough (I used ready rolled)
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- 1 tbs granulated sugar
- 2 cups rhubarb - sliced
- 2 cups strawberries - sliced
- 1 1/2 cups blueberry
- 1 1/2 cups blackberry - halved
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 tbs tapioca flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Toss everything for filling into a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Line a pie dish with rolled out pastry dough.
- Add the berries into the pie shell.
- Cover with pastry dough.
- Brush dough with egg wash.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar on dough.
- Bake for about 1 hr or until golden browned. The pie leaks, so remember to place a parchment paper or foil underneath the pie dish.
- Enjoy with some ice-cream!