Happy New Year everyone! I can't believe my Christmas and New Year holidays are over! Back to the lab tomorrow...so not looking forward to it =( I've been enjoying too much - all the food, post-Christmas shopping, more food, more shopping then more food...thus the lack of recipe posts and also a backlog of recipes! Anyway, I'll try to post more often (hopefully everyday) until I finish my neverending backlog...
This is a dish I cook whenever we have leftover Pepsi from our KFC indulgence. I usually stay away from the additional calories so there's always a lot left. This is another version of the Coke chicken I posted before. Coa-cola or Pepsi can be used in both recipes. Both very delicious. Both even better with the fresh herbs tossed in. Notice how the picture below doesn't have any coriander mixed in while my recipe calls for a handful of coriander. The addition of a handful of coriander was a last minute thought after taking pictures and before serving. I just happened to find half a pack sitting in the fridge. The coriander added a really nice flavour to the dish.
- 720g (about 5) Chicken pieces
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 4 cloves garlic - crushed
- 4 slices ginger
- 2 cups Pepsi/ Coca-cola (original, NOT diet)
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- Light soy sauce (to taste)
- 1 handful coriander - coarsely chopped (optional)
- Heat up a bit of oil in a pan/ pot, fry chicken until all sides are browned or broil them in the oven.
- Drain oil, leave chicken pieces aside for later use.
- Add onions to the pan, fry until soft.
- Add garlic and ginger slices, fry until fragrant.
- Place chicken pieces on onions.
- Pour in Pepsi.
- Mix in tomato ketchup.
- Leave to simmer until chicken is tender and sauce has thickened (about 45 mins). Turn the chicken pieces every now and then so all parts get the sauce.
- Add light soy sauce to taste. I didn't have to add any as it's tasty enough for me.
- Stir in coriander and serve with rice!