Does this look familiar? Do you have a few cans of this sitting in your pantry?
My mum had a lot. She gave them all to me together with cans of abalones and fakey abalones. These are very popular Chinese New Year gifts and they usually come along with other various auspicious stuff in a hamper. We get a few cans during CNY and since my mum doesn't cook, they just accumulate in her kitchen cabinet. And who's the beneficiary? Me of course =)
Top shells are a kind of sea snails (I think) and they taste very much like abalone. The texture is soft, rubbery, chewy and tender, like tender squid.
- 1 can top shell in brine
- 350g asparagus spears - ends snapped off and cut into 2 inches pieces
- 1 tbs fried garlicFor sauce:
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbs Lingham's chili sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbs top shell brine
- Drain top shells, save 2 tbs for sauce. Slice top shell into half, 3 slices for larger ones.
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for sauce.
- Heat up a bit of oil in a pan.
- Add asparagus, stir fry for about 5 mins or until tender.
- Mix in top shells, sauce and fried garlic.
- Stir fry until top shells are heated through.