I cook this dish very often as it's very simple, super tasty and we can eat it for days. The basic ingredients are usually pork, mushrooms, pickled sour mustard, tamarind paste and chili. This is actually a variation of the basic version which I have posted long ago. I added lemon grass, some spices and some leftover dried bok choy which I found in the pantry. This dish is very versatile, you can add whatever random ingredients or leftovers you have. I added a head of Chinese leaves the next day and baked beans the day after. It gets uglier but tastier!
- 2.3kg Pork - chop into large chunks (I used boneless pork shoulder joint)
- 4 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 stalk lemon grass - bashed
- 10 Chinese mushrooms - washed
- 1 bunch dried bok choy (菜干) - washed
- 2 cups water
- 2 packets (300g each) pickled sour mustard green (with chili or without) - sliced, do not discard liquid
- 60g rock sugar
- 2 tbs Cheong Chan Thick Dark Soy Sauce (Thick Caramel Sauce)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anises
- Red chili (optional)
- 1 head Chinese cabbage - sliced
- 1 can baked beans
- Place everything for Day 1 except sour mustard green in the pressure cooker and cook under pressure for 45 min.
- Remove lid, add sour mustard, simmer for further 30 mins.
- Reheat leftovers, add cabbage and simmer until softened.
Ugly I know, but so tasty!Day 3:
- Reheat leftovers, mix in baked beans.