Woohoo a pasta machine! Do you know that it's extremely easy to make your own noodles? 2 simple ingredients and you get yourself some delicious homemade pasta. You don't need a pasta machine, you can roll our your own dough and cut it. But I'm a lazy person and someone without delicate fingers and skills, so I trust the machine to do the job and make me some perfectly shaped pasta. The texture is really different from store bought dried pasta - it has a really nice bite, like how we call it "Q" (I believe it's a Chinese term for describing the bouncy(?) chewy (?) texture of noodles. Something like 'al dente'.).
Ingredients: serves 4
- 100g plain flour
- 100g strong stone ground wholemeal bread flour
- 2 eggs
- Place flour on your working surface, make a heap with a well in the middle.
- Crack eggs into the well and slowly mix together with your hands.
- Keep mixing until a dough is formed.
- Knead for about 10 mins until elastic and smooth. (I used a stand mixer with a dough hook attached for kneading. Yes, I'm lazy =P)
- Divide dough into 2 pieces for easy handling.
- Sprinkle some flour on the surface of the dough and run this through the pasta machine roller set on widest setting.
- Turn the dial to the next narrowest setting, feed dough through the pasta machine again.
- Repeat until you get the thickness you desire.
- Let dough stand for about 10 mins until slightly dry.
- Attach pasta cutter onto machine.
- Feed dough through the cutter.
- Lightly flour pasta to prevent sticking.
- Dry pasta on a rack or cook it straightaway!
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water. Pasta is done when it floats onto the surface of water.