How often do you clear/ clean your pantry? Do you know what exactly you have in it? I am very lazy and I only clear the pantry when I run out of storage space. Not clear actually, it's to "make space". I was going through the pantry over the weekend and found half a bag of assorted dried wild mushrooms which I bought from Spain last Summer...or maybe the Summer before, anyway, I forgot all about it! No fungus on fungus, so I decided to use it before that ever happens. I added Marmite which is one of those long neglected sauces that I have, and it was deeeeelicious! It's a wonder how a mere teaspoon of this salty stuff added so much flavour and depth to the dish.
Ingredients: serves 2
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 150g arborio rice
- 3/4 cup dried wild mushrooms - washed
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 spoon Knorr Chicken Powder
- 1 tsp Marmite
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Truffle balsamic glaze (optional)
- In a saucepan, bring to boil washed dried mushrooms and 1 1/2 cups water. Reduce heat to simmer for at least 30 mins and until mushrooms are softened.
- In a pan, heat up about 1 tbs of olive oil.
- Mix in rice, fry until rice is translucent at the edges.
- Add wine and mix well until liquid is evaporated.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the boiling mushrooms/liquid. Stir occasionally.
- Add more mushroom stock when liquid is completely absorbed.
- Continue until rice is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed. You might have to add more water to get the consistency or texture you like.
- Stir in Marmite.
- Add sugar and salt to taste.
- Serve with some freshly ground black pepper. Also delicious with some truffle balsamic glaze!