I'm always looking out for quick and easy recipes that I can cook during weeknights. When I saw this at Lisa is cooking and her link to the 30 Best, Fast Recipes Ever in Food and Wine website, I bookmarked it without any hesitation. The hardest part was deboning the chicken, you could use chicken breast but that's our least favourite part of the chicken. I would highly suggest adding the mushrooms as they soaked up all the wonderful sauces and they were so tasty! I'd try adding less sugar the next time, other than that, this recipe is a keeper!
Adapted from 30 Best, Fast Recipes Ever in Food and Wine website
- 1 large onion - cut into rings
- 750g chicken thighs - deskinned, deboned and cut into bite size
- 200g oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic - pressed
- 2 tsp ginger - grated
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red chili - seeds removed, sliced
- 4 tbs (or to taste) fish sauce
- In a bowl, mix together all ingredients for the sauce (except fish sauce).
- Heat up a bit of oil in a pan, add onions and saute until soft and translucent.
- Add in chicken, mushrooms and mixed sauce ingredients.
- Leave to cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Add fish sauce to taste.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!