I'm suppose to be on a diet as the big day is just round the corner. I've been cooking relatively healthy meals and this is one of it. I had this soup on its own without any additional carbs. The only unhealthy ingredient would be the sausages, so I would suggest using turkey sausage or any low fat sausages you can find. I read somewhere that spicy food increases your metabolic rate and helps lose weight faster, so I added some cayenne pepper. Fact or myth I'm not sure, but I love spicy food, so I am more than happy to make all my food spicy. This is a very simple and tasty soup, a perfect weekday recipe!
Ingredients: serves 2
- 1 Sweet Pointed red Pepper
- 1 tbs + more Olive Oil
- 3 Sausages (about 200g) - meat removed from casing
- 1 medium Onion - diced
- 1 Carrot - chopped
- 1 Celery Stalk - diced
- half a bulb of garlic - peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1 can Canned Plum Tomatoes
- 1 cup Chicken Stock (low sodium)
- 1 tbs Brown Sugar
- 2 Dried Bay Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Switch oven to broil mode.
- Coat red pepper with a bit of olive oil and broil until skin on both sides is charred.
- Leave to cool, peel skin and coarsely chop the pepper.
- Pour 1 tbs of olive oil in a heated pan.
- Add sausages meat. Slowly break up meat and fry until browned.
- Add onions, fry until translucent and soft.
- Mix in carrot and celery.
- When carrots are soft, add garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Stir in other ingredients including the chopped pepper.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 30 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove bay leaves and serve!