This wonderful cake recipe is by Catherine Hudspith who won the Market Kitchen Summer 2008 baking competition. I came across this recipe on TV and have been dying to try it out ever since. The cake was so soft and moist and the aroma was just amazing. The ginger and lemongrass gave it a very nice spicy kick. Love all the flavours of this cake. My only complaint of this cake is that it's a bit too sweet for my taste, I would suggest cutting back on the sugar. Hmm..,maybe because I misread the instructions and put the tbs of stem ginger syrup in the cake instead of the syrup.
I did not pour all the syrup over the cake to let it absorb as I think it would be too sweet. Instead, I microwaved a slice for 20-30s, drizzled a bit of the syrup and served...yum yum. This cake is perfect for winter days and will definitely cure your winter blues! We enjoyed it very much and finished the cake in 2 days among the 3 of us! I am already craving for it again. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
Recipe from Market Kitchen, Catherine Hudspith.
- 175g Unsalted Butter - softened at room temperature
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 175g Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 75g Stem Ginger - finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 4 tbsp Lemongrass and Ginger Cordial (Bottlegreen brand)
- 1 tbsp Stem Ginger Syrup (this was suppose to be added in the syrup, but...)
- 6 tbsp Lemongrass and Ginger Cordial (Bottlegreen brand)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 stick Lemon Grass - bashed
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 2 tbsp Water
For the syrup:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Sift together baking powder and self-raising flour.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Alternate adding eggs and flour mixture as you beat.
- Stir in stem ginger and ground ginger with a spatula.
- Mix in 4 tbs of cordial and stem ginger syrup.
- Pour batter into a greased baking pan.
- Bake for 35 mins or until done. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle, should come out clean if done. (I used a 9-inch pan, so it only took 35 mins.)
- Leave to cool.
- Place all ingredients for syrup in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil then remove from heat. Leave to cool.
- Pour over cake and serve!
Here I would like to announce the official launch of the Asian Food Gallery! It is a place to drool on amazing Asian food. Here you can find a wide variety of Asian food recipes as well as food reviews. Do spend some time and check out this great website, you won't regret it!