Rumbledethump is a traditional Scottish dish which involves the mixing of potatoes, cabbage, onions, then topped with cheese and baked till browned. This is normally served with meat or ate as a meal on its own. I happened to have all ingredients needed for rumbledethump and a lot of leftover meat from 8-hr Braised Pork, so I decided to combine the ingredients and make an all-in-one dish. I didn't want a cheesy crust, so I placed cheese in between the meat and rumbledethump. The cheesy surprise was amazing. The cheese melted onto the meat and was really delicious with the rumbledethump.
- Leftover meat from 8-hr Braised Pork - shredded
- Leftover sauce from 8-hr Braised Pork or stock - just enough to keep the meat moist but not drown the meat
- Mature Cheddar - grated
- 550g Potatoes - roughly diced
- 1 head Savoy Cabbage - shredded
- 1 large Onion - sliced
- 4 shallots - sliced
- 1 stalk Spring Onion - diced
- 1 bunch (~15g) Chives - diced
- 2 tbs Creme Fraiche
- Black Pepper
- Place onion and shallots in a pan with a bit of oil, salt and brown sugar. Leave to caramelise at low heat.
- Boil potatoes until soft and mash evenly.
- In a pot, fry cabbage with a bit of butter until wilted.
- Mix together potatoes, caramelised onions and shallots, cabbage, spring onions, chives and creme fraiche.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread potato mixture onto meat.
- Bake at 180°C until a crust is formed (~30 mins).