Jeff insisted that I make turkey stuffing this year, and it has to be homemade as he thinks ALL ready made stuffings are soggy and mushy. I am not a big fan of mushy and soggy turkey stuffing either so I started searching for stuffing recipes. Awesome Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing from Allrecipes.com caught my eye so I thought I'd give it a try. I made some changes to the ingredients and baked the stuffing separately. This way, I don't have to roast my turkey for too long and I get a nice crust from baking the stuffing. This was my first attempt in making turkey stuffing and I was relieved when Jeff said 'It's damn nice!'. Oh, have I ever mentioned that Jeff is very picky and critical when it comes to food?
- 100g Wholemeal Bread - cubed
- 100g White Bread - cubed
- 460g Pork Sausages Meat - skin removed
- 1 Large Onion - diced
- 2 stalks of Celery - diced
- 20g Fresh Sage - finely chopped
- 20g Fresh Rosemary - leaves removed from stem and finely chopped
- 1 Granny Smith Apple - coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Dried Raisins
- 1 cup Mixed Nuts - toasted and coarsely chopped
- 20g Fresh Parsley - finely chopped
- 200ml Chicken Stock (unsalted)
- 55g Unsalted Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk
- Toast cubed bread at 180°C until brown and crispy. Leave aside for later use.
- Saute onion and celery until soft.
- Add in sausage meat and fry until cooked.
- Mix in sage and rosemary and fry for about 2 mins.
- Transfer sausage mixture into a large mixing bowl, add in all other ingredients (including toasted bread) and mix.
- Pour everything into a caserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 180°C for 20mins.
- Remove foil, switch the oven to broil and cook until the top is browned.