I can still remember my first attempt in making this dish - it was a disaster. Maybe because I was too greedy and put a bit too much minced meat, the meat wasn't cooked. I had to re-steam it and the egg was overcooked. From then on, I always stir fry the meat prior to steaming. Then, I have been trying to get smooth, silky steamed eggs. The trick is to not overbeat the eggs and get rid of all air bubbles or foam before steaming.
- 150g Minced Meat
- 1 tsp Corn Flour
- 1 tbs Minced Preserved Radish (菜脯碎,choi po)
- 2 Eggs
- 2/3 cups Water (eggs to water ratio about 1:2)
- 1/2 tsp Knorr Chicken Powder
- Sesame Oil
- Light Soya Sauce
- Mix together minced meat, a bit of salt and pepper and corn flour. Leave for at least 10 mins.
- Stir fry preserved radish and minced meat until pork is half cooked.
- Pour pork into steaming bowl.
- Beat eggs in another bowl. Try not to incorporate a lot of air bubbles.
- Mix together beaten eggs, water and chicken powder.
- Pour egg mixture into steaming bowl through a sieve to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Cover and steam on medium high heat for about 10-15 mins.
- Check for doneness. The middle part will still be wobbly, insert the tip of a chopstick in the middle, if the liquid is clear, it is done.
- Drizzle a bit of sesame oil and soya sauce and serve.