Homemade sambal belacan is the best. It's very versatile as you can use a little in almost everything. Simple stir fries, fried rice, porridge condiment...you name it. We have some homemade belacan chili made with ikan bilis (anchovies) in the fridge from Jade's mum. It's very spicy and tasty esp with the ikan bilis and it goes really well with this dish.
- 350g Minced Pork
- 1 Large Onion - diced
- Garlic - Minced
- 1 Aubergine sliced
- Ladies Fingers
- 2-3 tbs Sambal Belacan/ Chili Oil (chili flakes only, oil drained)
- Shaoxing Wine
- 1 tsp Knorr Chicken Powder
- 1 tbs Kecap Manis
- Light Soya Sauce
- Stir fry onions until soft.
- Add garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Mix in sambal belacan, stir fry for about 2 mins.
- Add in a dash of Shaoxing wine, minced meat, chicken powder and kicap manis. Stir fry until dry.
- Add in ladies fingers, aubergine, 1 tsp sugar and a little bit of water. Stir fry until ladies fingers are soft. Add a little bit of water at a time if too dry.
- Add soya sauce and more sugar to taste.
- I prefer to grill the aubergine before stir frying as they become a bit mushy after stir frying.
- Soak aubergine slices in salt water for about an hr.
- Drain and dry with kitchen towels.
- Place on baking tray and drizzle some olive oil on aubergine.
- Place under the broiler until slightly browned. Turn and continue until the other side is browned.