Another must-have Christmas dish - brussels sprouts. I used to hate brussels sprouts because of its bitterness and somewhat weird texture. As I grow older, I learnt how to appreciate it. I cooked this dish with pancetta a few years ago, but this year I couldnt find any, so I used bacon lardon instead. The saltiness of bacon lardon/ pancetta and the sweetness of chestnuts somehow masked the bitterness of the brussels sprouts. It's very flavourful and these 3 ingredients go really well together.
- 500g Brussels Sprouts – bottom sliced
- 120g Bacon Lardon/ Pancetta cubes
- 1 pack Roasted & Peeled Chestnuts (about 100g) - break into pieces
- 1 cup Chicken/ vegetable stock (unsalted)
- 1 pinch Sugar
- Black pepper
- Heat non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add bacon lardon/ pancetta cubes to the pan and cook until crisp and golden-brown.
- Add chestnuts and stir until chestnuts are warm.
- Add Brussels sprouts and stock.
- Cover with lid and simmer until sprouts are tender (~10-15mins).
- Season with pepper.
- I was too lazy to peel and roast chestnuts so I bought ready roasted peeled chestnuts.