Joyce tried a recipe of couscous royal and kept asking to try it. I finally had a go today. I couldn't get all the ingredients so I made some substitutions and added other ingredients that I think will go well with the dish. It's very tasty and very filling. The following recipe could easily feed a family of 10!
Ingredients: serves a lot!
- 200g Chorizo - cut into large pieces
- 500g Chicken pieces
- 1kg Shoulder of Lamb - chopped into large pieces
- 5 Carrots
- 5 Turnips
- 5 Tomatoes
- 5 small Onions
- 1 bulb Garlic
- 1 Aubergine
- 215g (wet weight) Butter Beans (canned)
- 410g (wet weight) Chickpeas (canned)
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 35g Harissa Paste
- 100g Concentrate Tomato Puree
- 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 tbs Cumin
- 1 pinch Saffron
Couscous: serves 3
- 1 cup Couscous
- 1 1/4 cup Hot Water
- 3/4 cup Raisins
- 2 tbs Coriander - coarsely chopped
- Brown chorizo in a pot (without oil).
- Remove chorizo and brown chicken and lamb.
- Add in all other ingredients except for butter beans and chickpeas.
- Pour in a cup of water, bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer until meat is tender.
- Mix in butter beans and chickpeas, simmer for about 10 mins.
- Add salt to taste.
- Pour boiling hot water onto couscous. Cover for about 10 mins.
- Mix in raisins and coriander.