I had my first taste of chili con carne with fries at Ed's Diner. It's basically a spicy minced meat and bean stew - very tasty, spicy and full of depth. Jeff was craving for this dish so I thought I'll have a go. We had it with tortilla wraps instead of fries. Other fillings include lettuce, guacamole and spicy refried beans (all of which are bought from Sainsbury's, ready-made).For Chili Con Carne:
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Onion - diced
- 4 cloves Garlic - crushed
- 500g Minced Meat (I used pork instead of beef as Jade doesn't eat beef)
- 1 can canned Plum Tomatoes
- 4 slices Sun-Dried Tomatoes - sliced
- 2 tbs Concentrate Tomato Paste
- 1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Beef Stock cube
- 1 cup Water
- 1 can canned Kidney Beans - drained
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 6 whole Cloves
- 2 (or more) Red Chillies - sliced
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Heat up olive oil in pan, fry onions until translucent.
- Add in garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Increase heat, fry minced meat until browned.
- Mix in all other ingredients (EXCEPT the beans).
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until gravy thickens.
- Stir in kidney beans and leave to simmer for another 10 mins.
- Season with salt.