I got a can of canned abalone from my mum when I went back for Chinese New Year earlier this year. It has been sitting in the pantry since then. Haven't had a chance to use it since Jeff is not a big fan of abalone. I finally used it last weekend and cooked a rather luxurious dish to welcome our new flatmate.
- 250g Chicken
- 1 Large onion
- 1 Carrot
- 1 cup Yu-zhu/Yuk-chuk (玉竹)
- 2 Dried abalone
- 3 Large Dried Scallops
- 10 Chinese Mushrooms
- Dried Fish Maw
- 1 can of canned abalone - drained and cut into thin slices.
- Corn starch slurry (water+corn starch)
- Wash mushrooms, dried abalone and dried scallops, soak for at least 2 hrs (I normally soak overnight).
- Pour boiling water over fish maw and leave until softens. Drain and add cold water. Drain and squeeze out excess water. This is to get rid of the oil. Repeat this twice. Cut into small pieces.
- Blanch chicken. Drain and place in a pot with onion, carrot, yu-zhu, soaked dried abalone and scallops. Pour all the water used for soaking mushrooms, abalone and scallops into the pot. Add enough water to cover all ingredients and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for at least 1 hr.
- Slowly pour chicken broth through a sieve. Retain the dried abalone.
- Place strained chicken broth in another pot.
- Add in soaked mushrooms, scallops, dried abalone and fish maw. Simmer for 30 mins.
- Thicken with corn starch slurry.
- Add salt to taste.
- Fish out all ingredients and arrange on a serving dish.
- Pour gravy over and serve.