I have tried many different instant bah kut teh mix over the past few years and have yet to find one that suits our taste. They all smell really good but the taste just isn't there. My uncle suggested adding extra herbs such as dong-guai, chun-gong, guai-pei and gon-chou. Tried this new recipe and Jeff hasn't complained ever since.
- 600g Pork (ribs/ belly)
- Chinese mushrooms
- 1 pack instant bah kut teh mix (any)
- ~3-5 slices dang-gui/ dong-guai (当归)
- A pinch chuan-xiong/ chun-gong (川芎)
- ~3-5 slices gui-pi/ guai-pei (桂皮)
- ~10 pieces gan-cao/ gon-chou (甘草)
- 1 handful of gou-qi/ gei-chi(枸杞)(optional)
- 1 whole garlic
- 1 tsp white peppercorn
- Thick dark soya sauce (optional)
- Light soya sauce
For the rice:
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 1/2 tbs Fried shallots
- 1 1/2 tbs Fried garlic
- a pinch of salt
- Blanch pork ribs and rinse with cold water.
- Put pork ribs in pot with A and about 1.5 L water. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Add B to taste.