We managed to get rid of only a fraction of the sweet potatoes my fiancé bought by throwing them into stews and curries. So I decided to bake a sweet potato pie. I got a recipe from Goods Eats and here it is.
Ingredients: 9-inch Pie
- Ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 530g sweet potatoes – peeled, cubed
- 1 ¼ cups natural yougurt
- ¾ cup packed, brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 5 egg yolks
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup pecans – chopped, toasted
- 1 -2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Line pie pan with shortcrust pastry.
- Bake until golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Steam sweet potatoes until tender (~20 mins).
- Mash in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Add yougurt, brown sugar, cinnamon, yolks and salt to mashed sweet potatoes and beat until well combined.
- Pour batter into pie shell.
- Sprinkle pecans on top.
- Drizzle with maple syrup.
- Bake for about 55 mins.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 3 hrs.
- I left out the 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg the original recipe calls for because I didn't have it in the kitchen.
- Texture of the pie was slightly on the mushy side, I personally prefer it to be a bit more dense.
- The natural yougurt gave it a nice sour tinge. But my fiancé thought it was a bit too sour.