Jeff doesn't like to drink clear soup cause he thinks it's watery and is normally quite bland. But I love to drink soup. To suit both of our tastes, I made this. It's like concentrated soup. It's tasty enough without adding any other seasonings.
- 2 chicken legs
- 6 chinese mushrooms - whole
- 2 dried abalone slices
- 4 huge dried scallops
- 1 handful gei-chi (枸杞, Chinese wolfberries)
- 1 tbs shaoxing wine
- Wash thoroughly the abalone slices, scallops and mushrooms then soak in cold water (enough to cover everything) for at least 2 hours or until mushrooms are soft. I normally leave to soak overnight.
- Blanch chicken and wash with cold water.
- In a steaming bowl, line in abalone slices. Then put in chicken, and place mushrooms, scallops and gei-chi on top of chicken.
- Pour in the water that was used to soak the abalone slices and scallops.
- Cover soup bowl with aluminum foil/ lid. Steam on medium to low heat for 2 hours.
- Remove from heat.
- Drizzle shaoxing wine and serve.
- It's on the salty side, add more water if you want it less salty.
- The abalone slices tends to get a bit chewy and would not soften if you cook them on high heat, so do not steam on high heat.