Had some leftover basil from 3 cups chicken and half a bottle of coke in the fridge. So here is today's dinner - Coke chicken! One of my favourites as it's on the sweet side and goes really well with rice.
- 650 g chicken – chopped into small pieces
- Coke (enough to cover chicken for marinate)
- ~ 7 slices ginger
- 1/2 bulb garlic - crushed
- 1 large onion - cut into rings
- Chilli (optional)
- 1 tbs dark soya sauce
- 1 tbs light soya sauce
- 1 handful basil (garnishing)
- Marinate chicken in coke for at least 1 hr.
- Heat up oil, saute chilli, garlic, ginger and onions until fragrant.
- Add in only chicken (without coke) and stir fry until slightly brown (medium/high heat).
- Add in 3/4 cup of coke, dark and light soya sauce and cook under medium/low heat until thickens (~45 mins).
- Remove heat, toss in basil.
- Chilli is optional. I love spicy food, so I added chilli to give it a bit of kick.
- Basil is optional as well. Didn't want it to rot in the fridge, so decided to toss it in. Besides adding more colour to the picture, it made the dish more fragrant and goes amazingly well with this dish! My fiancé loved it and said we should always add basil to this dish.